Allentown’s hometown heroes are being honored just in time for Memorial Day.
Sixty-one street banners are being hung in portions of the Downtown, East Side, South Side, and West End to recognize and honor past and present military veterans.
Families may honor any living or deceased loved one who was a veteran of the U.S Armed Forces as long as the person to be honored has a past or present connection to the city of Allentown.
Anyone who is honored on Allentown War Memorials, and veterans recommended by the local VFW or American Legion posts are also eligible.
“The banners are a tremendous way to honor a veteran for their service. We are happy to be able to offer the community an opportunity to say thank you in this special fashion,” said Mayor Ray O’Connell.
Families may also request that banners be displayed together. There are families that have submitted applications for a grandfather and father and want them to be hung at the same location.
Each banner costs $145.00. Installation and storage costs are being borne by the city.
The banner will be:
- 30” x 60”
- constructed of heavy vinyl
- printed the same on both sides
- will display the service person’s photograph, his or her full name, branch of the military, and the era of service (WWI, WWII, Vietnam, Desert Storm etc.)
- displayed from Memorial Day through Veterans Day in November, in observance of all Military Branch birthdays
- removed and stored until the same period in the following year, at which time they will be re-displayed
The program is closed for the remainder of 2021, but applications are being accepted now for installation during the 2022 season.
Click here for a Hometown Hero application form HometownHeroesApplication.pdf (allentownpa.gov).
The application must be accompanied by a photo of the hero in uniform.
Checks should be made payable to Hometown Heroes and should be mailed to:
Anne Henning Scheuring
225 South Line Street
Lansdale, PA. 19446
For additional information, please contact Ann Henning Scheuring at 215.855.1743 or via email at firstname.lastname@example.org.