Allentown residents have a few more weeks to order a Hometown Hero street banner to recognize and honor past and present military veterans.
The deadline to join the dozens of others who have already ordered is being extended to May 1, 2021.
Families may honor any living or deceased loved one who was a veteran of the U.S Armed Forces as long as the person to be honored has a past or present connection to the city of Allentown.
Anyone who is honored on Allentown War Memorials, and veterans recommended by the local VFW or American Legion posts are also eligible.
“The banners are a great opportunity to honor a loved one for their service to the country,” said Mayor Ray O’Connell.
Families may also request that banners be displayed together. There are families that have submitted applications for a grandfather and father and want them to be hung at the same location.
Banners will be displayed in portions of the Downtown, East Side, South Side, and West End.
Each banner costs $130.00. Installation and storage costs are being borne by the city.
The banner will be:
- 24” x 48”
- constructed of heavy vinyl
- printed the same on both sides
- will display the service person’s photograph, his or her full name, branch of the military, and the era of service (WWI, WWII, Vietnam, Desert Storm etc.)
- displayed in years 2021 & 2022 from Memorial Day through Veterans Day in November, in observance of all Military Branch birthdays
- removed and stored until the same period in the following year, at which time they will be re-displayed
Click here for a Hometown Hero application form HometownHeroesApplication.pdf (allentownpa.gov).
The application must be accompanied by a photo of the hero in uniform.
Checks should be made payable to Hometown Heroes and should be mailed to:
Anne Henning Scheuring
225 South Line Street
Lansdale, PA. 19446
Applications received after May 1, 2021 will be processed for installation during the 2022 season.
For additional information, please contact Ann Henning Scheuring at 215.855.1743 or via email at email@example.com.