The City Controller is one of nine elected offices in the City of Allentown. The term of the office is four years and is not subject to term limitation. The City Controller is independent of the Mayor and City Council.
The City Controller performs the following functions per the City Home Rule Charter and City Ordinances:
Citizens who have observed waste, fraud or mismanagement of your City tax dollars are welcome to call the City Controller and leave a message 24 hours a day. The number is 610-437-7527. Or you can fill out the internet contact form on this City web site and send it to the City Controller.
- Have financial oversight of City finances, independent of the Executive and Legislative branches and shall review all expenditures of all City departments, the Mayor, City Council and City boards, commissions, agencies and authorities for whom the City provides financial guarantees;
- Review the Annual Budget before approval by City Council, and make nonbinding recommendations to the Mayor and to City Council for consideration, if he or she deems it necessary;
- Be present or represented at all City Council meetings;
- Perform specific audits of City finances from time to time as requested by the Mayor or by City Council;
- Report to the Mayor and to City Council, on the progress of the implementation of any recommendations as found in the Annual Audit and Management Letter;
- Assist in all audits conducted by independent auditors;
- Assure the accurate and timely completion and submittal of audit reports along with appropriate follow-up recommendations;
- Furnish to City Council, the Mayor, and others, as appropriate, periodic reports of audits conducted;
- Interpret and communicate audit policies and procedures to all City management and staff;
- Direct internal financial security and loss investigation activities;
- Issue any subpoenas in order to fulfill the duties and responsibilities of the Office of City Controller;
- Perform financial and department reviews as deemed necessary by the City Controller.
- In addition the City Controller reconciles the City bank accounts and audits the bank accounts of City related authorities, boards and commissions as well as acting as the repository for all City contracts, leases and other agreements.