Skip to Content
  • Contact Us
  • Text Size - Metro Government of Allentown (Print logo)

Tenant Information Center

The information on this page only applies to tenants who live within the municipal boundaries of the City of Allentown.

Who to contact for specific information:

Department of Building Standards & Safety

Tenants have the right to live in a safe and habitable home. Below are items which are required functionalities of a habitable unit:

  • Working smoke alarms
  • Working hot water
  • Heat (in the winter)
  • Adequate waste disposal and sewage
  • Functioning/locking windows and doors
  • Functioning bathroom(s)

If there is a problem with the property, the tenant should contact the landlord to report the problem and seek repairs. If the landlord doesn't take action, or make repairs in a timely manner, you should contact Building Standards & Safety to file a complaint or schedule an inspector to assess the damages, in order to seek adequate repairs. The number for Building Standards & Safety is 610.437.7694.

To request a copy of the Inspection Report, completed by the assigned inspector, you must submit a Right to Know request.

Residents who have received notice of eviction and need free legal advice and/or representation should contact:

Tenants, please be aware that it is against PA law for any landlord to ask for more than two months of security deposit. (code section 68 P.S. §§ 250.511a-250.512)

For more information, please contact:

  • Fair Housing Officer
    435 Hamilton Street
    Allentown, PA 18101
    Fax: 610.439.5947
    TTY: 610-497-7551

Additional Resources