The City of Allentown Department of Parks & Recreation and the Parkland Aquatic Club are teaming-up to help educate families on the importance of water safety.
The Kiwanis Club of Allentown has provided a grant to the Club to develop a safety program during Drowning Prevention Month.
“Pool Proof” is a free event that will be taking place at Allentown’s Mack Pool on Saturday, June 24 from 9am to 1pm. Free summer kits containing swimming caps and other summer safety items will be provided to the first 250 participants courtesy of St. Luke’s University Health Network.
“Pool Proof” aims to address the need for educational programs to reduce the incidence of drowning in the community by teaching children and their families how to stay safe in and around water. This event features activities for various ages and different swimming skill levels. The event stresses the importance of learning the basics of water safety, teaches improvised rescue techniques, the importance of personal flotation devices, and that learning to swim is the best safeguard against water-related injuries and drowning.
Statistics compiled through various studies by the CDC and USA Swimming Foundation show the need to continue to educate the populace on water safety…
- 70% of African American children cannot swim
- 60% of Hispanic/Latino children cannot swim
- Participation in formal swimming lessons can reduce the risk of drowning by 88%
- Only 19% of Americans are aware that drowning is the leading cause of accidental death among children under the age of 4
- If a parent does not know how to swim, there is only a 13% chance that a child in the household will learn how to swim
- 10 people drown every day in the United States
- More than 1 in 5 fatal drowning victims are children under the age of 14
For more information about this event please contact the City of Allentown Parks & Recreation Department at 610-437-7757.
In case of inclement weather, please call the Recreation Inclement Weather Hotline at 610-437-7750 after office hours, or visit us on Facebook for postponement information at www.facebook.com/allentownparkandrec.