Recycling & Solid Waste Mission Statement
To provide for safe and proper collection and disposal of municipal waste and reduction of municipal solid waste in the City through recycling, composting, and waste reduction. To promote a cleaner and greener Allentown.
Recycling & Solid Waste Info
This program provides for the safe, efficient, and cost effective collection and disposal of municipal waste, recyclables, and yard waste from approximately 36,000 households, 400 small businesses, and City facilities. The bureau aims to reduce the City’s municipal solid waste stream by a minimum of 40% and comply with PA Act 101 (mandatory residential and commercial recycling law).
This Bureau operates a recycling drop off center and yard waste site, and manages the Allentown Clean and Green and Graffiti Busters programs to reduce the incidence of litter and graffiti. The Bureau monitors the Dorney Road (Oswald) Landfill Superfund Site.
Objectives of this program include:
- Maintain residential and commercial recycling participation rates above 90% and contamination rates below 7% through active education and enforcement efforts.
- Reduce the amount of waste land-filled through recycling and trash collection limits.
- Increase waste diversion through the operation of the Recycling Drop Off Center and yard waste site.
- Install, maintain, and provide collection from approximately 250 Big Bellies and 400 litter receptacles.
- Administer the commercial trash and recycling collection program as a service to small businesses.
- Support recycling market development efforts
- Develop and maintain accurate monitoring and reporting systems.
- Maximize grant funding and increase alternative revenue sources.
- Achieve a cleaner and greener City through community involvement, education, cleaning and enforcement.
- Eradicate graffiti from public and private property and prevent graffiti through education and enforcement.
SWEEP provides complaint and pro-active, outreach, education and enforcement of Allentown’s municipal waste, recycling and neighborhood improvement ordinances. Residents, property owners and business owners are informed of the ordinance requirements and SWEEP officers address trash, litter and recycling problems to attain compliance. The officers educate, issue warnings, SWEEP violation tickets and citations for non-compliance. The program also administers the system to track complaints and SWEEP tickets issued, collect ticket revenue, and is the administrator for other City bureaus: Engineering, Health, Allentown Police Department and Animal Control for a variety of violations, including noise, snow removal, animal issues, etc.
Neighborhood Improvement Ordinance
Part 7 - Article 720
Solid Waste & Recycling Ordinance
Part 11 - Articles 1131, 1137 & 1139
Frequently asked Questions:
- Was your trash and/or recycling not picked up last night?
- Not sure what night your garage and/or recycling night is.
- Do you need recycling bins?
- Have a question on items that may or may not be recyclable?
PLEASE CONTACT THE HOTLINE AT 610-437-8729
OR VISIT THE WEBSITE