The Bureau of Engineering provides quality professional engineering design and inspection capabilities for all City sponsored infrastructure (sanitary sewer, storm drainage portable water, streets, bridges, etc.) as well as all trasportation related and environmental projects.
- Pick up an application for Street Vacation at the City Clerks office at 435 Hamilton St in Allentown. Complete the application and return it to the City Clerk. A non-refundable filing fee of $500 must be included with the application.
- The City Clerk will forward the application to City Staff.
- City Staff will get comments from utility companies and adjoining property owners.
- City Staff will report to the City Planning Commission.
- The Planning Commission will make a recommendation to City Council.
- City Council will assign it to the Public Works committee of Council.
- The Public Works Committee will make the recommendation to full Council.
- City Council will vote on the Ordinance to vacate the street.
The entire process normally takes 3-4 months, but could take longer. There is no guarantee that the vacation will be approved and, if denied, the $500 application fee is not returned. In most cases the street will be divided with half of the street going to the adjoining property owners, no matter who paid for the application.
Complete the Encroachment Application and fax it to the Engineering Department at (610) 437-7614 or mail it to Engineering Department, 641 S. 10th St, 3rd floor, Allentown PA 18103. Permit Fees.
Contractors please review the Standards for Curbing and Sidewalk installation. Permit procedures vary for curbing, sidewalks, and crossovers so please review. To install a residential crossover or a commercial crossover fill out the crossover application and return to the Engineering Department at 641 S. 10th St, 3rd floor, Allentown PA, 18103 Permit fees
Complete a Sidewalk Cafe Application
and return it to the Engineering Department at 641 S. 10th, 3rd floor, Allentown PA 18103. A non refundable fee of $40.00 will need to be paid with the application.
Permits / Applications
Residential & Commercial Crossover Application
Sidewalk Cafe Application
Street Vacation Procedures
Street Vacation Petition
Standards for Curbing/Sidewalks/Crossovers