The Animal Control Program's primary objective is to preserve and protect the public health through investigation and abatement of animal related nuisances. This is accomplished through the enforcement of the provisions of the Animal Control ordinances and other law, regulations and policies.
Animal Control Ordinance Part 7 - Article 700
Objectives of this program include:
- To take appropriate actions to assure compliance with the City's Animal Control Ordinance. Please see part seven of the General Offenses code Article 700 (Animals).
- To respond to all animal-related complaints received from the public.
- To seize domestic animals running at-large in the community.
- To investigate complaints regarding possibly rabid animals and animal bites.
- To provide public education regarding aspects of the Animal Control Ordinance, animal owner responsibilites and animal behavior.
- To educate and enforce that all dogs and cats are vaccinated against rabies and that dogs have a Lehigh County dog license.
- To investigate animal cruelty complaints.
VACCINATION AND LICENSING:
Dogs & cats 3 months and older MUST
be vaccinated against rabies. Dogs MUST
also be licensed by Lehigh County.
If you would like to obtain a dog license you will need the following information:
Locations for Dog License:
- Owners name, address, and telephone number
- Dogs name, age, breed, sex and color
- Proof of age is required for Senior Citizen discount (age 65 and older)
- A veterinarian's proof of neutering or spaying to take advantage of lower fees
Lehigh County Fiscal Office
17 South Seventh Street, Room 119
Allentown PA 18101
Lehigh County Humane Society
640 Dixon Street
Allentown PA 18103
Pet Supplies Plus
1014 Union Boulevard
Allentown PA 18109
Pet owners must take measures to prevent their pets from excessive barking, crying or making annoying noise.
WALKING YOUR PET:
Animals are not allowed to run loose. All animals must be secured by a leash. Animal droppings must be picked up immediately. No domestic animals are permitted in Old Allentown Cemetary at 10th & Linden Street.
AT YOUR HOME:
Animal owners must provide adequate water and food daily. They must also provide clean and proper shelter both indoors and outdoors. Pet owners are required to pick up all animal droppings on their property daily.
SWEEP TICKETS ARE ISSUED FOR VIOLATIONS OF THE
ANIMAL CONTROL ORDINANCE.