The City of Allentown is home to one of the finest police training facilities in the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania. The Allentown Police Academy has been in existence since 1959. Over 2600 officers from 155 different municipalities have been trained at our facility.
Our facility offers the Pennsylvania Municipal Police Officers' Education and Training Commission's Act 120 Basic Recruit Training Program. This is a 754 hour training program geared for municipal police officers. The program consists of 18 subject areas. There are academic as well as hands-on training classes. Some of the classes you will have include: Criminal Law, Firearms, Defensive Tactics, First Aid, Patrol Procedures, and Investigations plus many more. You will be tested on the material presented. You must pass each test with a 75% or better to pass the course.
Classes usually begin in February and July of each year. Each session lasts for 21 weeks. Class hours are Monday - Friday, 7:45a.m. to 5:30 p.m. daily. In addition, there may be a few night classes per session, 6:00 p.m. to 10:00 p.m. Applications are due 4 months before the start of the desired class session.
The tuition is $4300 and is non-refundable. There are no student loans or grants available for the course other than the military GI Bill. Tuition must be paid in full one month prior to class starting. In addition to the tuition, you are also responsible to purchase a uniform, physical training uniform, weapon, holster, duty belt, and testing fees.
Basic requirements for the Academy are:
- You must be a U.S. citizen
- You must be at least 21 years of age - there is no maximum age
- You must have a high school diploma or GED certificate
- You must have a valid driver's license
- You must have a clean criminal record. No convictions above a Misdemeanor of the 3rd degree.
- You must be in good physical condition
To start the application process,
- Complete the Application Form (civilian or police personnel) and Release and Indemnification Agreement.
- Send the completed form along with a copy of your
- Drivers license
- School transcripts - send college transcripts if you have at least 2 semesters of college, otherwise send high school transcripts.
- Background check – can be obtained on line at www.psp.state.pa.us – From the home page click on Public Services, then click on Criminal History Request. Or, you can obtain the request form in person at any state police barracks.
Send the application packet to: Allentown Police Academy, 2110 Park Dr., Allentown, PA 18103
- You must attend an information session. These sessions will be held approximately two months prior to the starting date. You will receive a letter/email informing you of the dates the sessions will be held.
- You must pass a physical exam administered by a department physician (at your cost),-- forms and details will be issued at the information session. You must pass this exam in order to participate in the physical fitness evaluation.
- The next step is to take a standardized Reading Test (at your cost) and a Physical Fitness Test (no cost). These tests will be administered by Academy personnel. Go to www.mpoetc.state.pa.us. Click on Officer Certification, and then click on Physical Fitness Chart. This chart will list the physical fitness requirements for admission to an academy. You must pass these tests to proceed with the admission process.
- Next, you will be evaluated by a department psychologist (at your cost). The psychologist will administer a test called the MMPI. You must pass this test in order to be accepted to the Academy.
- Upon a favorable recommendation by the psychologist, a background investigation will be conducted. Following this investigation, a brief interview will be conducted by the Assistant School Director at which time the investigation's findings will be discussed.
- All areas above must be satisfactorily completed to gain admission. The Allentown Police Academy School Director and/or the Allentown Chief of Police will have the final decision on all admissions.